Skip to main content

Secrets of the River

(This piece has been published in The New Indian Express)

A thick green forest, vast grassy stretches, and a river running through the undulating landscape. And to think all this is a mere 100 km away from Bangalore! Cross Kanakapura, and you will get to see hamlets of about 30-40 families punctuating the forest. As we go past Sathanur and take the Muthathi road (which by the way is an adventure in itself, considering the poor state of the road), we see stretches of mulberry plantations, banana crops, and all the pastoral scenes that jump straight out of a fourth-standard textbook chapter on rural life. Bheemeshwari Nature and Adventure Camp (was a fishing camping earlier) is an initiative of Jungle Lodges, Karnataka government's excellent eco-tourism project. The camp was earlier a fishing camp that attracted tons of visitors because of the Mahseer, the fish that has made the gushing and throbbing River Cauvery its home. Fishing (even catch and release) is banned now, but the camp attracts visitors for other reasons. The region offers excellent trekking trails, and you can trek all the way to the Basavana Betta which apparently has an old forest guesthouse constructed by the Mysore Maharajas. We chose to trek four km to the watch tower en route, and that was a satisfying trek on its own. We were richly rewarded with a view of the entire Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary region that encompasses bits of Kanakapura, Kollegala Chamarajanagar and Ramangara regions.



Apart from the trek, Bheemeshwari also offers rafting, adventure sport activities such as the Burma Loop and Parallel Walk, and a Zip Line. Never one for adventure, I was somehow dragged into these activities. And it turned out to be quite an adventure when I was stuck midway across the zip line for a few moments! 

But what I loved most, apart from all the activities on offer, was to sit by the river and read. Not that I got much reading done, because at some point I gave up on Richard Flanagan's 'The Road to the Deep North' and just stared at the river. As I watched the river take on many shades through the afternoon, and then the sun setting over the horizon, a lone coracle catching a glint of sunshine even as the sun disappeared, I was reminded of Herman Hesse's Siddhartha. The river is life. The river is a metaphor for everything. Journeys, beginnings, endings. A single moment in an eternity. 

You can check out junglelodges.com for more on Bheemeshwari, the accommodation, distance and other details. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keep it simple, stupid

Every now and then, we all need to tell ourselves to be Rahul Dravids. Don't gun for glory. Get down to the basics, and do the simple things well. I have always tried to keep it simple: Keep your head down, just score the singles, keep the scoreboard ticking. This philosophy makes things easy. It is only when I act against my true motto that things tend to go wrong. A Rahul Dravid innings, the way he has conducted himself in his professional life has many lessons in there for us. In fact, 'Keep the scoreboard ticking' brings back many happy memories because it was my first ever blog. Back when no one had even heard of what a blog was. It was when I was a struggling journalist that I started to watch Dravid carefully. This was way back in 2002/03. The way he planned an innings was the way I was beginning to plan my years in the newspaper I worked for, back then. Keep it simple, and the big runs will come later, I would tell myself as I slogged on the moffusil desk, doing ni...

#TeatimeTales #History

From Glasgow to Pattikonda: The journey of Sir Thomas Munro Sir Thomas Munro, a Glasgow-born Scotsman, who became the Governor of Madras Presidency in the early part of the 19 th century, made a deep impact on the people of the Rayalaseema region. I was reading up on the palegar (local chieftains) strife in Rayalaseema region, and read this interesting snippet: In many parts of Ananthapur and Ballari regions, Munro was so respected that the locals named their first-born son after their favourite administrator – Munrolappa (Kannada and Telugu are the local languages). I haven’t seen it, but there’s a famous statue of Sir Thomas Munro in Madras, near the Gymkhana, according to a piece in The Hindu . ( Sriram’s piece in The Hindu .) What triggered my interest in Sir Thomas Munro was that he was the Collector of Anantapur district. My ancestral village is in the same district, and many of my family members continue to live in the district. I came across a letter Sir Thoma...

Star-struck in Gujarat

My favourite part of our Gujarat trip was how Hindi cinema references kept popping up at every stage. Hindi cinema served as a nice reference point to draw people to history, it seemed to me. Here's my piece in The Hindu Businessline's weekend supplement, BLink http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/features/blink/watch/starstruck-in-gujarat/article6986679.ece